Please join our FACEBOOK page to find out more information about the following workshops for FAll 2016.
- August 15, 8:30 am at Bonnalai Cafe– Poetry Workshop in Phnom Penh with Greg Bem
- August — Short Story Workshop in Battambang with Akhaing Khem
- September 5-26 — Screenplay Workshop (Phnom Penh) with Larry Chambers (see announcement below)
- October — Poetry Workshop (Phnom Penh) with Yeng Chheangly
- November 7-8– Poetry Workshop (Siem Reap, New Leaf Book Cafe) with Chin Meas
- Dec/Jan — Short Story Workshop and Book Review Writing Workshop (Phnom Penh) with Teri Yamada and Rupert Winchester
SEPTEMBER WRITERS WORKSHOP. Sponsored by the Nou Hach Literary Association and META House:
Writing for Hollywood – a Screenplay Workshop
Our Shared Vision: By 2020 writers from the NHLJ/Meta House Khmer Workshops will be recognized as a source of heartfelt, moving and dramatic screenplays. We aim to teach the skills needed to write a Hollywood script. These same skills can help participants find writing jobs in various industry, government, media, and the private sectors. Their success will have an impact on the Kingdom of Cambodia and the international perception of Cambodia.
Instructor: Larry Chambers is a recipient of the 2012 Ojai WordFest Award, recognized for outstanding literary talent and a first place winner in the 2011 National VA Art Competition. His first screenplay Cub Scout Commandos was optioned twice by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures Inc (2003) and his first television script the Deadliest School on Earth, became a History Channel Documentary (2001).
The course will use concepts found in Joseph Campbell’s Hero with a Thousand Faces; Robert McKee’s workshop on screenplay structure; and Viki King’s How to Write a Movie in 21 Days.
By the end of this four-week workshop, participants will produce a nine-minute script in Khmer or English that reflects their knowledge needed in writing for the cinema. This nine-minute script will also serves as a “credibility piece” and basis for a commercial screenplay.
Meeting Dates and Times:
Saturday, Sept. 5 from 4-6 pm at META HOUSE Coffee shop
Saturday, Sept. 12 from 2-5 pm at Center for Khmer Studies, Phnom Penh
Saturday, Sept. 19 from 2-5 pm at Center for Khmer Studies, Phnom Penh
Saturday, Sept. 26 from 2-5 pm at Center for Khmer Studies, Phnom Penh
Requirements for workshop participation include:
- Previous participation in an NHLA Writers workshop;
- Some understanding of English;
- A recent act of kindness you did for someone. Summarize your act of kindness in one paragraph and submit it along with your request for participation.
Applications DUE on August 8, 2015 to email@example.com
NHLA 2016 Literary Award for Most Original Script: $200
Judges: Larry Chambers and Nico Mesterharm
Submissions due on September 1, 2016
Send to firstname.lastname@example.org